Enjoy the sand, sun, and salt water this August at the Philadelphia Outrigger Canoe Club’s 8th Annual Hoe Wa`a Challenge!
EVENTS *Conditions Permitting. **Updates coming for short course and unlimited races**
- Saturday, August 10, 2019 Hoe Wa`a Challenge (OC-6)
- New! Short Course for those new to ocean OC-6 racing: 3-miles (Women’s, Men’s, Mixed together)
- Long Course for spec and unlimited (new!) canoes *bring your own unlimited (BYOU)*
- Women’s OC-6 race: 12-miles
- Men’s OC-6 race: 12-miles
- Mixed OC-6 race: 9-miles
- Luau and OC-6 awards
- Sunday, August 11, 2019 Waterman’s Challenge (OC-1, OC-2, surfski, standup and prone paddleboard)
- Long race: 8 miles
- Short race: 4 miles
- Lunch and awards
Spec OC-6 Canoe Loan Request: July 15, 2019.
Team Registration: July 31, 2019 (11:59 PM EDT)
Late Registration: August 1, 2019 (prices go up!) – August 7, 2019 (11:59 PM EDT)
OC-6 crews in need of a Spec OC-6 canoe should read the Canoe Loans section below and related info. All teams must register through PaddleGuru.
Registration through July 31 , 2019 (11:59 PM EDT)
- New! OC-6 short course registration: $200 USD per canoe
- OC-6 long course registration: $360 USD per spec or unlimited (new!) OC-6 canoe
- OC-1, Surfski, SUP short and long course registration: $55 USD per paddler
- OC-2 short and long course registration: $110 USD ($55 each paddler)
Late registration: August 1, 2019 – August 7, 2019 (11:59 PM EDT)
- New! OC-6 short course late registration: $260 USD per canoe
- OC-6 long course late registration: $420 USD per spec or unlimited (new!) OC-6 canoe
- OC-1, Surfski, SUP short and long course late registration: $70 USD per paddler
- OC-2 short and long course late registration: $140 USD ($70 per paddler)
Separate registration required for each crew/craft racing
Requests for edits post-registration only via email request to firstname.lastname@example.org through August 7, 2019 (11:59 PM EDT)
Open (10+) and Masters (40+) age divisions available. Please ensure your team members are the appropriate age for the registered age divisions:
- the age of your team members on August 10, 2019 for the OC-6 races
- the age of you/team members on August 11, 2019 for the Waterman’s races
Registration fees go directly to cover event costs. Should the event be cancelled due to weather or other safety concerns, refunds will not be provided. Questions about registration can be directed to email@example.com.
DOUBLE PADDLERS (for the OC-6 Race)
- Registration fees are per crew not per paddler
- Each registered OC-6 crew will receive 6 racing wristbands which double as luau tickets and are transferable.
SPEC OC-6 CANOE LOANS
- Rental of Spec OC-6 canoes only. Unlimited OC-6 races are BYOU (bring your own unlimited).
- Deadline for spec OC-6 canoe loan requests by July 31, 2019 to be made through registration form submission and to be coordinated by POCC Hoe Wa`a Race Planning Committee.
- Please do not reach out to other clubs directly to avoid double booking.
- Spec OC-6 Canoe rental fee $155 USD to be collected by the POCC Hoe Wa`a Race Planning Committee: $150 to be passed through to the team renting their canoe and $5 transaction fee
- Completing registration does not guarantee a canoe. Requesting teams will receive a confirmation email once a canoe loan is arranged.
- After the canoe loan deadline (July 31, 2019) teams needing a canoe should not register without prior approval from the POCC Hoe Wa`a Race Planning Committee.
20% cancellation fee will be assessed for all registrations cancelled by July 31, 2019 11:59 PM EDT.
100% Cancellation fee will be assessed for all registrations cancelled after August 1, 2019 12:00 AM EDT.
NO CANCELLATION for Late Registration.
CAPTAIN’S SAFETY MEETING
- The Hoe Wa`a Challenge and Waterman’s Challenge are ocean races, and safety meetings are required. See schedule below for Captain’s Safety Meeting.
POST-RACE LUAU (OC-6), LUNCH (Waterman’s) & AWARDS
- SATURDAY post-OC-6 Race:
- 6 Luau tickets are included in the OC-6 team registration fee – ticket is your racing wristband. All others are welcome to purchase luau tickets through www.POCCHoeWaa.com
- SUNDAY post-Waterman’s Challenge Races:
- Lunch is included in the athlete’s registration fee – ticket is your racing wristband.
- Spectators welcome to purchase lunch tickets through www.POCCHoeWaa.com
Times subject to change – finalized schedule will be emailed to each paddler prior to the race.
New! Friday, August 9, 2019: Hoe Wa’a Challenge (OC-6)
- Canoe/trailer drop off, rigging and paddling canoes across the inlet to the Brigantine Inlet Beach
- 7:00 p.m. Mandatory Captain’s Meeting – location TBA
Saturday, August 10, 2019: Hoe Wa’a Challenge (OC-6)
Location: Brigantine Inlet Beach, Lagoon Boulevard & Ocean Drive, Inlet: 39.381961, -74.410239
- 5:30 a.m. Registration check-in tent open
- 6:30 a.m. OC-6 (spec) Short Course Race: Women’s/Men’s/Mixed – 3 miles
- 8:00 a.m. Women’s OC-6 Long Course Race: Spec and unlimited – 11 miles
- 11:00 a.m. Men’s OC-6 Long Course Race: Spec and unlimited – 11 miles
- 2:00 p.m. Mixed OC-6 Long Course Race: Spec and unlimited – 8 miles
- 5:30 p.m. Luau
- 6:15 p.m. OC-6 Awards
Sunday, August 11, 2019: Waterman’s Challenge
Location: Beach between 14th and 16th near Laguna Grill and Rum Bar
*Schedule and race course may change based on weather/ocean conditions*
- 7:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Small craft drop off at 16th St. parking lot *drop off only, cars need to be street parked after drop off*
- 7:30 a.m. Registration check-in tent open
- 8:30 a.m. Safety Meeting
- 9:00 a.m. Long and Short race start
- 11:30 a.m. Lunch and Awards – luau on the beach at the race site – please bring your own beach chair and BYOB