Enjoy the sand, sun, and salt water this September at the Philadelphia Outrigger Canoe Club’s 10th Annual Hoe Wa`a Challenge!
- Sunday, September 11, 2022 POCC Hoe Wa`a Challenge (OC-6)
- Short Course for those new to ocean OC-6 racing (women’s, men’s, mixed): 3-miles
- Long Course
- Women’s OC-6 race: 12-miles
- Men’s OC-6 race: 12-miles
- Mixed OC-6 race: 9-miles
Spec OC-6 Canoe Loan Request: August 31, 2022 (not guaranteed, the earlier the better)
Team Registration: August 31, 2022 (11:59 PM EDT)
Late Registration: September 1, 2022 (prices go up!) – September 7, 2022 (11:59 PM EDT)
OC-6 crews in need of a Spec OC-6 canoe should read the Canoe Loans section below and related info. All teams must register through PaddleGuru.
Registration through August 31, 2022 (11:59 PM EDT)
- OC-6 short course registration: $195 USD per canoe
- OC-6 long course registration: $390 USD per canoe
Late registration: September 1, 2022 – September 7, 2022 (11:59 PM EDT)
- OC-6 short course late registration: $225 USD per canoe
- OC-6 long course late registration: $450 USD per canoe
Separate registration required for each crew/craft
- Registration fees are per crew not per paddler
- Should the event be cancelled due to weather or other safety concerns, refunds will not be provided.
- Questions about registration can be directed to email@example.com
Open (10+), Masters (40+), and Sr Masters (50+) age divisions available for spec and unlimited OC-6 races. Please ensure your team members are the appropriate age for the registered age divisions on September 11, 2022. Note: Awards will not be given out to each age division.
OC-6 CANOE LOANS
- Deadline for OC-6 canoe loan requests by August 31, 2022 to be made via email to Dave Kunz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please do not reach out to other clubs directly to avoid double booking.
- OC-6 Canoe rental fee $155 USD to be collected by the POCC Hoe Wa`a Race Planning Committee: $150 to be passed through to the team renting their canoe and $5 transaction fee
- Completing registration does not guarantee a canoe. Requesting teams will receive a confirmation email once a canoe loan is arranged.
- After the canoe loan deadline (August 31, 2022) teams needing a canoe should not register without prior approval from the POCC Hoe Wa`a Race Planning Committee.
20% cancellation fee will be assessed for all registrations cancelled by August 31, 2022 11:59 PM EDT.
No refunds of registration fees after September 1, 2022 12:00 AM EDT.
CAPTAIN’S SAFETY MEETING
The Hoe Wa`a Challenge is an ocean race, and safety meetings are required. The Captain’s Safety Meeting will be held on site before each race. Attendance is mandatory.
LUNCH & AWARDS
Awards and lunch will be provided
Sunday, September 11, 2022: Hoe Wa’a Challenge (OC-6)
Location: Brigantine Inlet Beach, Lagoon Boulevard & Ocean Drive, Inlet: 39.381689, -74.413808 (Race Map)
Note: We are monitoring the ocean conditions (Hurricane Earl) and will move the race to the back bay if needed.
Times subject to change – finalized schedule will be emailed to each paddler prior to the race.
Breakfast (coffee, bananas, bagels) will be served all day until gone
Lunch (grab and go- hoagies, chips, cookies) will be served starting at 11:00
Limited Water will be provided – please bring your own water
- 7:00 a.m. Registration check-in tent open
- 7:30 a.m. Pule and Captain’s meeting (Women’s Race)
- 8:00 a.m. OC-6 Women’s Race – 12 miles
- 10:00 a.m. Captain’s meeting (Short and Men’s races)
- 10:30 a.m. OC-6 Short Course Race – 3 miles and Men’s Race – 12 miles
- 11:00 a.m. Awards (Women’s Race) and ARE Raffle drawing
- 12:30 p.m. Captain’s meeting (Mixed Race)
- 1:00 p.m. OC-6 Mixed Race – 9 miles
- 1:30 p.m. Awards (Men’s Race)
- 3:00 p.m. Awards (Mixed Race)
EVERY paddler must bring their own PFD and have with them in their boat